the last puppy classes of 2016 are getting started on their socialization projects!!
The average puppy needs 3-4 field trips EVERY WEEK to NEW places to become adequately socialized. This means that the friendliness and confidence they show as a puppy will last and solidify as they become adults. Wariness and avoidance are natural survival instincts that will kick in as the dog ages, causing shyness, fear, and aggression. Socialization helps reduce this natural tendency!
Your puppies need to meet an average of 25 new people every week, and an average of 8 new animals every week. Let people know that you are there to socialize, bring your treats, and reward and praise every polite interaction your dog has. Don't take for granted a puppy's natural curiosity at this stage. It starts to fade by the time they are 14 weeks old!
CHECK OUT THE SOCIALIZING YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS ARE DOING:
- Dakota went to a horse show and met lots of people and horses!
- Dakota explored a noisy leaf blower and met some new dog friends!
- Lola met lots of new people, went to Bloomingdales, the pet store and had lots of doggie playdates!
- Honey went to Rite Aid, a pastry shop, and walked downtown.
- Hudson met the UPS man, went to the garden nursery, the pet store, and had a puppy playdate!
REMEMBER THERE ARE THREE PUPPY PRIZE PACKS TO WIN BY SOCIALIZING YOUR PUPPY:
- Puppy with the most completed socialization lists: Dr Sophia Yin and Scavenger Hunt
- Puppy who turns in the most numerous photos socializing with people
- Puppy who turns in a photo of the most unique or interesting socializing situation