It's Time to Start Socializing!
The average puppy needs 3-4 field trips EVERY WEEK to NEW places to become adequately socialized. If done correctly, socializing will help the friendliness and confidence they show as a puppy last and solidify as they become adults. Wariness and avoidance are natural survival instincts that will kick in as the dog ages, potentially causing shyness, fear, and aggression. Socialization helps reduce this natural tendency!
Your puppies need to meet an average of 25 new people every week, and an average of 8 new dogs every week. Let people know that you are there to socialize, bring your treats, and reward and praise every polite interaction your dog has. Don't take for granted a puppy's natural curiosity at this stage. It starts to fade by the time they are 14 weeks old!
REMEMBER THERE ARE THREE PUPPY PRIZE PACKS TO WIN BY SOCIALIZING YOUR PUPPY:
CHECK OUT THE SOCIALIZING YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS ARE DOING:
- Roxy went to Ridgehill shopping center, visited with people in LL Bean, and saw birds at Petsmart!
- The other Roxy went to a dog swimming day at the local pool!
- Caspian went to tons of stores and met lots of new people!
- Tess went to pet stores and met new people!
- Gracie met college students, went to a street fair and the hardware store, and met workers in the house!
- Blaze went camping!
- Solo met a construction worker!